Tokyo 2020 Olympics Tamamushi Lacquerware Tray
2021 Summer Olympic Games traditional Miyagi Prefecture craft serveware
Due to its iridescent wings that glow with different colors depending on how the light hits them, the Japanese call a particular species of beetle the tamamushi (or "jewel beetle"). The lacquerware technique used in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics Tamamushi Lacquerware Tray has that name because of the painstakingly applied layers of lacquer, which make the tray shine like the wings of the insect. Although in this case, there is a stronger color and that is dark blue, chosen because of its association with the Tokyo 2020 Olympics Games.
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics Tamamushi Lacquerware Tray has been made by lacquerware craftspeople from Miyagi Prefecture, the area that has become famous for this technique. It is 24 x 1.7 cm (9.4 x 0.6") and on the front, features a hagi (bush clover) design as well as the Tokyo 2020 insignia and logo and the Olympic rings. Beautiful as an ornament but also suitable as actual serveware, just avoid using it with forks and knives so as not to damage the lacquerware surface.
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics Tamamushi Lacquerware Tray features:
- Official Tokyo 2020/21 Olympics merchandise
- Features hagi (bush clover) design, Tokyo 2020 insignia and logo, and Olympic rings on the front
- Handmade in Miyagi Prefecture using the traditional Tamamushi lacquering technique
- Color: dark blue
- Size: 24 x 1.7 cm (9.4 x 0.6")
- Material: urethane, synthetic resin
- Avoid using with sharp objects
- Clean only by wiping lightly with a dry towel
- Special order: please allow 4 weeks for delivery