It's been said that a mark of how incredible Japanese cuisine is is that a Japanese chef manages to make a virtually endless number of dishes using only half a dozen or so of condiments. And while this is an exaggeration, because the Japanese actually have many more condiments, there's some truth to the fact that many Japanese cuisine standards take their flavor from a few ingredients including sugar, salt, vinegar, soy sauce, and miso. So it's no coincidence that when Nara-based Nakagawa Masashichi Shoten wanted to create its Basic Condiments Set, these are exactly the ingredients they chose!
Because the 300-year-old Nara shop only puts its name on the best of the best, the products you get in the Nakagawa Masashichi Shoten Basic Condiments Set aren't what you'd get in any supermarket in Japan: the salt is made by slowly boiling seawater in a kettle to extract all its fine qualities, and the same goes for the sugar that comes from an Osaka producer with a 100-year history. As for the soy sauce, it contains only Nara soybeans, wheat, and salt, and is brewed in wooden vats to ensure a deep aroma. Make your Japanese cooking take off with his amazing collection!
Specs and Features:
- Contains Japanese kettle-baked sugar, kettle-baked salt, pure rice vinegar, dark soy sauce, aromatic barley miso
- Japanese kettle-baked sugar weight: 200 g (7 oz)
- Kettle-baked salt weight: 100 g (3.5 oz)
- Pure rice vinegar volume: 360 ml (12.2 fl oz)
- Dark soy sauce volume: 360 ml (12.2 fl oz)
- Aromatic barley miso weight: 500 g (1.1 lbs)
- Pure rice vinegar acidity: 4.5%
- Dark soy sauce ingredients: soybeans, wheat, salt
- Aromatic barley miso ingredients: barley, soybeans, alcohol, salt
- All ingredients are Japanese
- From traditional Nara store Nakagawa Masashichi Shoten (est. 1716)
- Comes in gift box
- Box dimensions: 32 x 22.5 x 8 cm (12.6 x 8.9 x 3.1")