When people hear the word "taiko," they think of the enormous drums featured in performances by groups like Kodo, but the truth is that taiko come in many different sizes. Just visit a taiko maker like Ishikawa Prefecture's Asano Taiko, which has been making drums for over 400 years, and you will find an exhaustive lineup. Which starts with drums with a diameter of several feet and ends with minuscule instruments like the Asano Miniature Taiko!
But this is an actual instrument: despite fitting in the palm of your hand, the Asano Miniature Taiko is a real drum that makes a sound when you strike it with the mini drumsticks that come with it. The materials are the same as those used in regularly sized drums (zelova wood curved into a cylinder and capped with cowhide), and because this is obviously an ornament, it comes with a cushion and base to showcase it best!
Specs and Features:
- Dimensions: 6 x 9.5 cm (2.3 x 3.7")
- Materials: zelkova wood, cowhide
- Comes with cushion, base, drumsticks
- Made by traditional Ishikawa Prefecture taiko maker Asano Taiko (est. 1609)
- Special order: please allow 1-2 months for delivery