Famous for standing in the entrance of shops in Japan and beckoning to customers to come in with its front leg raised, the maneki-neko (beckoning cat) has been part of Japan's cultural landscape for at least three hundred years. If you want it to become part of yours too, the Maneki-neko Lucky Cat Large Kimekomi Doll allows you to do it in a very sophisticated and artisanal way.
This isn't the regular clay or plastic maneki-neko, but a product of real Japanese craftsmanship. The kimekomi technique used for these large dolls combines a figure made of wood (or in this case, urethane resin for more endurance) and high-quality fabric that is tucked in grooves painstakingly opened on the surface. This is all done by hand in Tokyo's Arakawa ward, so every cat is slightly different from the other. Get yours today or, even better, get all four to bring you more good fortune!
Specs and Features:
- Special artisanal version of classic maneki-neko beckoning cat talisman
- Colors/models: white, red, black, gold
- Dimensions: 130 x 85 x 75 mm (5.1 x 3.3 x 2.9")
- Materials: rayon, urethane resin
- Handmade (may vary slightly from images)
- Made by a traditional kimekomi fabric-tucking technique craftsman in Arakawa, Tokyo