An ideal tool for learning Japanese and also just a cool digital gadget for kids, the Color Catch Pen by Takara Tomy tells you the colors of various objects you touch with the tip of the pen. Just place the large pen on an object, such as a piece of fruit, and it will tell you the color. You can then "catch" another object with the same color (say an item of furniture or clothing) and then use that color to paint pictures on your iPad or Android device.
This award-winning, interactive toy from the Joujou educational series teaches kids to be curious about the world around them. There are two versions: Food (gray) or Animals (blue). Each pen comes with its own mat of illustrations with examples of animals or fruit and vegetables for you to interact with. The pen works fine on its own, though you can combine it with the app to create pictures with the colors on your iPad or Android device.
The Color Catch Pen features:
- Versions: Food or Animals
- Color Search Mode: pen tells you colors of random objects you touch (in Japanese)
- Color Quiz Mode: pen tells you to search for a color (in Japanese)
- Uses dedicated app (iOS or Android) to paint with the colors you "catch"
- OS: iOS8.3, iPad (not compatible with iPhone or iPod touch); Android 4.3, HTC Nexus 9
- Power: AAA batteries x 2 (not included)
- Interface, voice instructions: Japanese
- Instructions: Japanese