Religion evolves. Religion can be stylish. With the Shingudai Shinto Altar for One God, you have the best of Japanese wood craftsmanship using timber from Kiso cypress, combined with present-day minimalism. Toshihiko Sakai is the man responsible for the contemporary take on the kamidana Shinto altars that you normally find in a Japanese home, and no matter what your creed, this mini altar will look superb in any environment.
The materials are traditional but the concept is thoroughly modern. The Kyushu-made ceramic plates are for offerings of uncooked rice and salt, while the glass is for holding sake or sprigs of camellia. Meanwhile, the tall wooden tablet at the back is for storing shrine plaques for watching over your home.
The Shingudai Shinto Altar for One God features:
- Shingudai deity shelf and Ichi-matsurioyashiro (one god altar) set
- Shingudai (shelf) size: 49 x 189 x 66mm (1.9 x 7.4 x 2.6")
- Altar tablet size: 290 x 95 x 141mm (11.4 x 3.7 x 5.6")
- Weight: 80g (2.8 oz) (Shingudai), 160g (5.6 oz) (altar)
- Materials: Kiso cypress
- Includes glass dish (x 4), plate (ceramic), sakatate