Tokyo 2020 Olympics Tsugaru Nuri Lacquerware Dessert Cup
2021 Tokyo Summer Olympic Games traditional Aomori Prefecture craft serveware
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics Tsugaru Nuri Lacquerware Dessert Cup is one more of those products that haven been "Olympic-ized" to shocase different areas of Japan crafts that have been handed down as traditions for centuries. In the case of this exquisitely lacquered cup, the technique is called Tsugaru nuri and takes its name from the Tsugaru area in Aomori Prefecture, the northernmost part of Honshu island. If you are looking for a different way to celebrate the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, look no further!
Besides the craftsmanship involved to achieve its two colors (Tokyo 2020 Olympics dark blue on the outside and black on the inside), the Tokyo 2020 Olympics Tsugaru Nuri Lacquerware Dessert Cup features all the symbols of the big sports event it promotes: on its side is the Tokyo 2020 insignia and logo and the Olympic rings in white. As for the shape, if you turn it upside down it brings to mind Mount Fuji, as immortalized by the master of woodblock printing Katsushika Hokusai in his work "Fuji Blue." A true classic that should be in any Japanophile's collection!
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics Tsugaru Nuri Lacquerware Dessert Cup features:
- Official Tokyo 2020/21 Olympics merchandise
- Features Tokyo 2020 insignia and logo and Olympic rings on one side
- Color: dark blue (outside), black (inside)
- Dimensions: 10 x 6 x 10 cm (3.9 x 2.3 x 3.9")
- Material: wood fiber, lacquer
- Handmade in Aomori Prefecture using the traditional Tsugaru nuri lacquering technique
- Clean only by wiping lightly with a dry towel
- Based on the image of "Fuji Blue" woodblock print by Katsushika Hokusai
- Not for use in dishwasher, dryer
- Do not in water for long periods of time