Tokyo 2020 Olympics Blue Kiso Lacquerware Sake Cup
2021 Summer Olympic Games Nagano Prefecture traditional craft drinkware
There are many schools of lacquerware in Japan: in a country with so much humidity and so many trees, finding a way to preserve goods made from wood is an absolute must and the Japanese have been perfecting these techniques for centuries. The Tokyo 2020 Olympics Blue Kiso Lacquerware Sake Cup is a perfect example of one such technique, found in mountainous Nagano Prefecture and involving wrapping the wood in linen fabric and then applying the lacquer. The resulting texture is incredible.
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics Blue Kiso Lacquerware Sake Cup is made for sake but can of course be used for any other beverage. It carries the Olympic symbols (the Tokyo 2020 Olympics insignia and logo and the Olympic rings) but on the bottom, so they won't spoil the traditional look. On the side, it has a stylized painting of a pine, a plum blossom, and a bamboo stalk and leaves – the "sho-chiku-bai" trio considered a symbol of endurance and vitality and often used when celebrating. Such as when your favorite Olympic athlete gets a gold medal!
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics Blue Kiso Lacquerware Sake Cup features:
- Official Tokyo 2020/21 Olympic Games merchandise
- Color: indigo
- Dimensions: 4.8 x 5 cm (1.8 x 1.9")
- Sho-chiku-bai (pine, bamboo, and plum) design
- Materials: Kiso hinoki cypress wood, linen, lacquer
- Features Tokyo 2020 Olympics insignia/logo and Olympic rings on the bottom
- Handmade and painted in Nagano Prefecture
- Clean only by wiping lightly with a dry towel
- Do not use in dishwasher or dryer
- Keep out of direct sunlight
- Special order: please allow extra 6 weeks for delivery