Central heating is the obvious answer for dealing with cold weather in an urban setting but for various reasons, Japan still struggles with the idea. Instead, locals have come up with almost every conceivable alternative to keep warm, including self-adhesive chemical warming pads, specially designed isothermal clothes, and portable comforters. The best of these solutions, though, are the simple ones – like the Thanko Back Heating Pad, which is not only efficient but extremely versatile!
The Thanko Back Heating Pad is basically a small (430 x 900 mm / 15.7 x 35.4") electric blanket. It won't cover your whole body but will keep warm your back, shoulders, stomach, or legs. Just throw it on any part of your body that feels cold and it immediately warms it up. How much depends on you since it has six temperature settings, going from about 42°C (107.6°F) to 58°C (136.4°F). And with a timer for half an hour, one hour, two hours and four hours, it will keep on doing it even after you have fallen asleep while watching TV!
Specs and Features:
- Timer: 30 min., 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours
- Temperature levels: 6 (approx. 42°C/107.6°F, 45°C/113°F, 48°C/118.4°F, 52°C/125.6°F, 55°C/131°F, 58°C/136.4°F)
- Dimensions: 430 x 900 mm (15.7 x 35.4")
- Weight: approx. 380 g (13.4 oz)
- Materials: 90% polyester, 10% polypropylene
- Controller weight: approx. 200 g (7 oz)
- Operating voltage: AC 100 V, 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption: approx. 60 W
- Cable length: approx. 260 cm (8.5 ft)
- Manual/instructions: Japanese (but easy to operate)