The southern gate of the Kokugikan stadium in Tokyo's Ryogoku is the entrance sumo wrestlers use when a tournament is going on. Sumo fans of course know that so they gather around the gate to see their favorite wrestlers going in and coming out when they have finished with their bout. In the sumo world, Kokugikan's south gate evokes the anticipation of the fans and the poise of arriving wrestlers. And so this makes the Nippon Kodo Kokugikan South Gate Incense the only true sumo-themed incense!
Created by Nippon Kodo, Japan's premier incense manufacturer with a history going back over 400 years, for the Nihon Sumo Kyokai, the organization that is the ruling body of the sport, the Nippon Kodo Kokugikan South Gate Incense is a special floral blend that brings to mind the scent of wrestlers' hair wax, one of the key aspects of the sumo world. It comes in a paulownia wood box and contains 40 sticks and a base, so you have everything you need to immediately light one and enjoy the aroma. And since each stick emits very little smoke, you don't need to worry about ventilation either!
Specs and Features:
- Official Nihon Sumo Kyokai association merchandise
- Collaboration with incense maker Nippon Kodo (founded in the 16th century)
- Materials: Japanese bay tree bark and charcoal
- Fragrance: floral
- Sticks: 40
- Stick length: approx. 140 mm (5.5")
- Burning time: approx. 25 min.
- Amount of smoke: very little
- Comes in paulownia wood box
- Contains incense holder