The Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown measures made millions of people around the world reconsider their ideas about board games: yes, we can do everything on our phones today but there's something to be said about real organic materials and the hacotoy Reversi is about as real and organic as a game gets. Not only because it's made of Japanese wood (several woods, actually) but also because it's made by a new generation of Tokyo artisans who have breathed fresh life into the relationship between daily life and this most revered material.
Masuda Kiribako's hacotoy Reversi is available as two types of playing pieces (square or octagonal, or DecoBoco) and a rectangular board. Made of different types of wood paulownia, hinoki cypress, and walnut for the square version and paulownia, cedar, cypress, and walnut for the octagonal version, the hacoto Reversi is as beautiful to play as it is to touch and see – and with the different shades in the wood making it very easy to use too. Even if you are not the most fanatic board gamer in the world, you'll love having this around as yet another fine example of Japanese craftsmanship!
Specs and Features:
- Options: square, octagonal (DecoBoco)
- Square version materials: paulownia, acrylic, paper, hinoki, walnut
- Square version dimensions: 278 x 278 x 34 mm (10.9 x 10.9 x 1.3")
- Octagonal version materials: paulownia, cedar, cypress, walnut
- Octagonal version dimensions: 120 x 240 x 64 mm (4.7 x 9.4 x 2.5")