It might look like a headless robotic tank but the Tamiya 70243 Triple Crawler is actually a great way to introduce your children to engineering and how continuous tracks work. Built around Tamiya's two-geared Mini Motor Slim Gearbox, and somewhat futuristic-looking because of its transparent body and bright colors, this 179 x 97 x 72 mm (7.0 x 3.8 x 2.8") vehicle kit is a project really worth making - and very easily too, even if you cannot read Japanese.
Even though building the Tamiya 70243 Triple Crawler is a lot of fun, powering it up (it uses two regular AAA batteries, not included in the kit) is where the real fun begins. Put it in front of almost any object - from a piece of cloth to books or even your own body - and watch it negotiate the hurdle and continue moving. Even if it's turned on its side, the "fins" means the vehicle can keep on going, twisting and turning to overcome any obstacle. Education meets fun in this exciting project/toy!
The Tamiya 70243 Triple Crawler features:
- No. 243 in the Tamiya Fun Craft Series
- Self-assembly working model kit
- Dimensions (when completed): 179 x 97 x 72 mm (7.0 x 3.8 x 2.8")
- Power: 2 x AAA batteries (not included)
- Material: plastic
- Engine: Tamiya Mini Motor Slim Gearbox
- Gears: 2
- Side fins that help it move even on its side
- For ages: 10 and above
- Instructions: Japanese (but relatively easy to assemble)