It is said to have been invented in Ryogoku, the area mostly known for a sumo stadium back in the days when Tokyo was called Edo (17th-19th century), but very soon shichimi togarashi was all over Japan, giving a spicy kick to dishes. Today, you will find it as a condiment choice for everything including meat, fish, plain rice, and ramen noodles. And while you can get it packaged in any grocery or convenience store, there's an extra pleasure that comes from preparing your own, tailored to your specific taste. Which is what you can do with the Select 100 Shichimi Togarashi Spices Mixing Set!
Brought to you by KAI, a company who knows its way around a Japanese kitchen since it produces some of the most popular knives for it, the Select 100 Shichimi Togarashi Spices Mixing Set contains not the usual seven but actually nine choices of ingredients. Hemp, white sesame, Japanese Sichuan pepper, Sichuan pepper, green nori laver, poppy, dried citrus peel, cayenne pepper powder, and turmeric are included, most of them in seed form so you can grind them using the 102 x 102 x 64 mm (4 x 4 x 2.5") porcelain mortar that comes with the set. Get your own and start experimenting!
Specs and Features:
- Contains porcelain mortar, wooden pestle, and 8 spices
- Spices: hemp seeds, white sesame seeds, Japanese Sichuan pepper, Sichuan pepper, green nori laver, poppy seeds, dried citrus peel, cayenne pepper powder, turmeric
- Mortar dimensions: 102 x 102 x 64 mm (4 x 4 x 2.5")
- Mortar weight: 260 g (9.2 oz)
- Comes with plastic seal bag and label for storing the spice mix
- Made by top Japanese cutting equipment maker Kaijirushi (KAI)
US$ 26US$ 17 )