A pupa is a stage in the life of some insects, following the egg and the larva stages. This Takeo Tokyo Edible Mixed Pupae contains from four different kinds of bugs: mealworms, superworms, snout beetles, and silkworms. Dried, cooked, salted, and ready to eat as a snack - ideally, together with some nuts and a nice cold beer. And if you find the idea somewhat disgusting, remember that these insects are eaten all over the world by humans, fish, and animals!
The Takeo Tokyo Edible Mixed Pupae isn't exactly an everyday dish in Japan: contrary to the Chinese, the Japanese have taken most of these exotic items out of their diet, especially since the late 19th century. Nonetheless, insects remain a good source of protein and are eaten widely enough to ensure that they won't harm you. After all, people in Japan do eat fugu - the poisonous pufferfish! So why not try something different with your next beer? They might not taste like chicken but they are interesting!
The Takeo Tokyo Edible Mixed Pupae features:
- Ingredients: mealworm, superworm, snout beetle, silkworm, salt
- Weight: 15 g (0.52 oz)
- Store away from direct sunlight, high temperatures, and humid conditions
- Best consumed within 1 month from production date
- Country of origin: Thailand
- May vary from images
- Nuts not included (serving suggestion only)
- Not recommended for people with shrimp or shellfish allergies
- Instructions: Japanese