It's so famous that it even had a pop hit written about it back in the 1970s: the fish-shaped cake made of pancake or waffle batter and filled with anko red bean paste (or custard or chocolate or even cheese if you want to go savory) is a standard that can be found in shops of every neighborhood all over Japan. And now, with the Taiyaki Maker, you get to make your own, at home - and actually two of them at a time!
The Taiyaki Maker is as easy to use as any other toaster or panini press: you prepare the batter and the filling, fire it up, fill the fish-shaped mold (it's supposed to be a sea bream, or "tai" in Japanese, hence the name "taiyaki," meaning "grilled tai"), and let it grill. In about three minutes, you have your very own taiyaki just like you'd get at any street vendor or pastry shop in Japan. If you like waffles or pancakes, you'll love taiyaki!
The Taiyaki Maker features:
- Cooking grill press/maker for taiyaki
- Makes two cakes at a time
- Cooking time: approx. 3 minutes
- Operating voltage: AC100V, 50/60Hz
- Power consumption: 760W
- Thermal cutoff: 240°C (464°F)
- Dimensions: approx. 23 x 24.5 x 9 cm (9 x 9.6 x 3.5")
- Weight: approx. 1.3 kg (2.8 lbs)
- Power cord length: approx. 0.95 m (3'11")
- Materials: phenol resin, fluorine resin treated aluminum
- Instructions: Japanese