Imagine a vacuum cleaner that communicates with its owner and you'd think you were in the pages of a whimsical science fiction movie. No, not any more. Sharp has developed Cocorobo, a household vacuum cleaner with artificial intelligence that can recognize speech commands in English and Japanese. Equipped with a 1.3-megapixel camera and obstacle-avoidance sensors, Cocorobo can be left to clean the room by itself, meaning you are free to do other things.
It also has wireless LAN connection so can be controlled remoted by an owner's Android smartphone or iPhone, and the makers haven't skimped on the cleaning functionality either: There are five different cleaning modes and a powerful central fan that can sweep up all the dust and dirt on the floor, while releasing Plasmacluster Ions that cleanse the room. Part pet robot, part sophisticated cleaning machine, Cocorobo will become not only an essential tool for your home, but a part of your family.
The Cocorobo features:
- Cocorobot RX-V100
- Designed for use on non-carpeted surfaces (flooring etc)
- Cleaning modes: automatic; near walls; around one spot (two ranges); Plasmacluster
- Size: 346 x 346 x 96mm (13.6 x 13.6 x 3.8")
- Weight: 3.3kg (7.3 lb) (with battery)
- Power: AC100-240V 50Hz/60Hz
- Chargeable battery (16.0V 3.0Ah)
- Charging time: around 4 hours
- Usage time: around 1 hour (depending on conditions)
- OS: Android OS 2.3/4.0 and on; iOS 5 and later iPhone4, iPhone4S, iPad2, iPad (3G), iPod touch (4G)
- Download app for use with smartphones etc
- Speech recognition: Japanese, English
- Instructions: Japanese