Home planetariums come in all shapes and sizes but the one in the Otona no Kagaku Pinhole Planetarium Kit is probably the most amazing available today. Not only because it's small enough that you can take it with you almost anywhere (even in your car!), but because it's something you build yourself using just a Philips screwdriver, a pair of scissors, and two C alkaline batteries (not included). Everything else comes with the kit!
The Otona no Kagaku Pinhole Planetarium Kit is one of the best DIY projects from the "Science for Grownups" series by Gakken. The book/magazine that comes with the kit is in Japanese but there are many illustrations to help you assemble the planetarium easily. After that, you can set any date and time you want, turn off the lights and see the night sky as you can't see it in cities anymore. Great entertainment (and education) for the whole family!
The Otona no Kagaku Pinhole Planetarium Kit features:
- Reissue of Gakken Otona no Kagaku kit
- Date and time setting
- A4-sized/16-page book (Japanese language)
- Requires Philips screwdriver and scissors
- Power source: C alkaline batteries x 2 (not included)
- International Planetarium Society 2018 Technology & Innovation Award winner
- Assembly guide: in Japanese but fully illustrated