Dashi stock is the unsung hero of Japanese cuisine: it's used in so many signature dishes like miso soup, hot soba and okonomiyaki that you could argue that it is the basis of all Japanese food. And with the Dashi Stock Starter Kit, you have everything you need to make 6 liters (1.5 galons) of top-class dashi as easily as you would brew a cup of coffee... literally, since the kit uses paper filters and a holder similar to those you use for your coffee!
The only thing not included in the Dashi Stock Starter Kit is hot water. It does contain 12 packs of dashi mix (top-quality katsuobushi bonito flakes and konbu kelp), each good for 500ml (16.9 oz), as well as 24 filters made of Japanese washi paper, a lidded filter holder, and a measuring cup that also doubles as a pot for your dashi. Making the stock is easy: put a filter in the holder, fill it with the mix, add hot water, and let nature take its course. Cooking Japanese has never been this simple... or this tasty!
The Dashi Stock Starter Kit features:
- Filter holder with lid (capacity 600ml/20 oz)
- Measuring cup (capacity 600ml/20 oz)
- Filter holder heat resistance: 110°C (230°F)
- Measuring cup heat resistance: 100°C (212°F)
- Measuring cup can be used in microwave oven
- 24 x 25 cm (9.4 x 9.8") filters made of washi paper (pack of 40)
- Includes 14 g (0.4 oz) packs of dashi ingredients x 12
- 8 g (0.2 oz) of top-grade bonito flakes and 6g (0.2 oz) konbu kelp per pack
- One pack of ingredients is good for 500ml (16.9 oz) of stock
- Includes recipe book (Japanese language)
- Instructions: Japanese (but easy to use)