May 5, aka Children's Day, is one of Japan's most unusual national holidays – and a testament to the fact that boys and girls are not considered the same, even in the 21st century! Families with boys get to put up special decorations for them and because boys are, well, boys, these decorations are usually samurai-related: helmets, armor, or weapons of Japan's legendary warriors. The Mickey Mouse Children's Day Doll is one such decoration, adding a Californian twist to the conventional samurai imagery!
The samurai touch is still there, of course: on a black lacquered dais, in front of a folded golden screen, is a kabuto helmet like those worn by the warriors in the Warring States period of the 16th and 17th centuries. But in front of it stands a classic Mickey Mouse with his red shorts, white gloves, and yellow shoes, smiling and greeting. If you wanted a Kodomo no Hi (Children's Day) decoration but with a twist, the Mickey Mouse Children's Day Doll is the best way to get it!
Specs and Features:
- Licensed Disney merchandise
- Dimensions (Mickey): approx. 18 x 12 x 11 cm (7.1 x 4.7 x 4.3")
- Dimensions (pedestal): approx. 22 x 15 x 1.2 cm (8.7 x 5.9 x 0.5")
- Dimensions (screen): approx. 23 x 4.5 cm (9.1 x 5.7")
- Materials: polyester resin, lacquered MDF, paper
- Comes with folding screen, pedestal
- Glass case not included