What do a cat, monkey, goldfish, frog, bat, and rabbit have in common? They are all considered auspicious, or at least they were considered auspicious for the Japanese of the Edo period (1603–1868) and that is the reason the artists of the ukiyo-e woodblock prints used them. And now that cultural convention is passed down to the present day in a very sophisticated way with the Japanese Lucky Animal Sake Glass and Masu Box series.
All six glasses in the Japanese Lucky Animal Sake Glass and Masu Box series are 9 cm (3.7") tall: sake glasses are often smaller but these have been made bigger to better showcase the illustrations of the animals. Each glass is decorated all around it, so you get a different view every time you turn it, and each comes with a corresponding masu measuring box made of hinoki cypress, which is also traditionally used as a drinking vessel. Get the whole set and turn your home into an izakaya tavern with these beautiful glasses!
The Lucky Animal Glass Series features:
- 6 designs: cat, monkey, goldfish, frog, bat, rabbit
- Glass height: 9 cm (3.7")
- Glass capacity: 100 ml (3.4 fl oz)
- Each glass comes with a corresponding masu wooden measuring box
- Masu material: hinoki cypress
- Not dishwasher-safe
- Comes with bilingual (English-Japanese) explanation of each animal