Without a rice cooker, it's really hard to get Japanese rice exactly right, but even if you manage that, storing cooked rice is a whole other challenge. The best way to do it is the traditional one, using a wooden ohitsu tub, and this Edo Bitsu 15C Rice Container is among the best you can get. It combines natural materials and traditional craftsmanship with modern know-how, resulting in rice that tastes better!
Thanks to the two types of cypress used to make it, the Edo Bitsu 15C Rice Container absorbs enough of the moisture of the cooked rice to keep it chewy. In essence, it regulates the water content so it doesn't get either too sticky or too dry as often happens when keeping the rice warm in the cooker. It holds up to four portions of rice (approx. 300 grams, or 10.5 ounces), and also comes with a shamoji paddle-style scoop to serve your rice in the classic Japanese style!
The Edo Bitsu 15C Rice Container features:
- Traditional-style rice container (ohitsu tub)
- With paddle scoop (shamoji)
- Dimensions (bucket): 15 x 12.4 cm (5.9 x 4.8")
- Lid diameter: 17.5 cm (6.8")
- Dimensions (rice scoop): 16 x 0.5 cm (6.2 x 0.2")
- Weight: 438 g (15.45 oz)
- Rice capacity: 300 g (10.5 oz)
- Materials: sawara cypress, copper, hinoki cypress
- Do not use in microwave, oven, or dishwasher
- Instructions: Japanese (but easy to use)