There is almost no part of Japanese cuisine that doesn't include rice one way or the other, but the most fundamental of all rice dishes is gohan, the glutinous white rice steamed in the most essential of all kitchen appliances, the rice cooker. The Iwatani Han-go Gas Rice Cooker isn't just another one of these familiar kitchen appliances, though: it's a cooker for use on the go (hence the name), a way to have gohan that is perfectly steamed anywhere you are, even when camping!
The Iwatani Han-go Gas Rice Cooker gets its power from standard butane canisters available anywhere. It fires the gas up with its built-in electrical ignition and an AA dry cell battery and on one canister, it prepares either 19 single measuring cups (i.e., 19 regular Japanese portions of rice) or 8 times its full capacity of 5 cups (i.e., 40 portions). Very easy to carry around, use, and clean, it allows you to get your rice just right when doing BBQ in the garden, enjoying a summer starry night at the beach, or resting from a hike up in the mountains.
The Iwatani Han-go Gas Rice Cooker features:
- Dimensions: 275 x 275 x 334 mm (10.8 x 10.8 x 13.1")
- Weight (not including the butane canister): 5 kg (11 lbs)
- Quantity of rice: 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 measuring cups
- Quantity of rice/canister: 19 times on a single 150 g (5.2 oz) measuring cup or 8 times on the full 5 cups (750 g, 26.4 oz)
- Cooking time: approx. 12 min. for 1 measuring portion, approx. 15 min. for 3 measuring portions, approx. 18 min. for 5 measuring portions
- Ignition: electric, using 1 AA dry cell battery
- Pressure sensor
- Standby safety function
- Instructions: Japanese